- Power System Protection
- New Protection Paradigm for Smartgrid using PMU data
- Real Time Classification of Disturbance events from Global Signatures
- Fault Detection and Location for Protecting Microgrids
- Improved methods for Digital Relaying
- Power System Modeling, Simulation, and Analysis
- Create Validated Time Domain Models of Power System Components and subsystems
$866,026 (PI), $746,849 (Co-PI), $400,000 (Investigator)
- California Energy Commission (CEC), Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) – Energy Innovations Small Grant (EISG): “Fault Location in Power Distribution System with Penetration of Distributed Energy Resources”, PI. Amount: $50,000. November 1, 2008 – October 31, 2009.
- US Department of Energy: “Investigating Short Circuit Models for Wind Turbine Generators”, PI. Co-PI: Dr. Satish Ranade. Amount: $ 272,816. October 2009–December 2012.
- Pacific Gas and Electric: “Network Primary Model Development”, PI. Co-PI: Dr. Satish Ranade. Amount: $ 212,705. November 17, 2009 – July 31, 2014.
- Department of Energy: “Customer Driven Microgrid”, Investigator. PI: Dr. Satish Ranade. Amount: $400,000 out of total $1.8 million. November 2009 – December 2011.
- Sandia National Laboratories: “Microgrid Protection”, PI. Amount: $ 69,721. May 2, 2011 – June 30, 2012.
- Interdesciplinary Research Grant, VPR’s office NMSU: “ Classification of Disturbance Data Generated by Phasor Measurement Units for Better Control and Protection of Power Grid”, as PI, Co-PI: Dr. Huiping Cao. Amount: $38,490. January 2013 – May 2014.
- National Science Foundation: “CREST Center for Research – iCREDITS: interdisciplinary Center of Research Excellence in Design of Intelligent Technologies for Smartgrids”, as Co-PI. PI: Dr. Enrico Pontelli. Amount: $701,656 (out of $4,999,721). February 2014 – January 2019.
- El Paso Electric: “Transient Studies for El Paso Electric Company”, Co-PI. PI: Dr. Satish Ranade . Amount: $45193 (out of $ 90,386). August 1, 2013 – July 31, 2014.
- Sandia National Laboratories: “Foundations for Protecting Renewable-Rich Distribution Systems ”, as PI, Co-PI: Dr. Satish Ranade. Amount: $ 40,000. October 1, 2015 – September 30, 2016.
- National Science Foundation:CPS: Breakthrough: Collaborative Research: WARP: Wide Area assisted Resilient Protection, as PI, Amount: $182,294 (Out of $500,000). September 15, 2015 – September 14, 2018. Collaboration with North Dakota State University – PI: Dr. Rajesh Kavasseri, Co-PI: Dr. Nilanjan Ray Chaudhuri.
- Suresh Gautam: “Real Time Applications of Mathematical Morphology in Power System Protection” – Graduated – Fall 2012. Employed with GE Energy.
- Om Prasad Dahal: “Comprehensive Identification of Disturbance Events Recorded by Phasor Measurement Units” – Graduated – Spring 2014. Employed with Northern Indiana Public Service Company – NIPSCO.
- Malati Chaudhary: “Investigating short circuit models for Wind Turbine Generators” – Graduated – Fall 2013. Employed with Public Service Company of New Mexico.
- Kesavan Gokulakrishnan: Solution of Startup Problem in Bulk Handling Conveyer Systems- Graduated – Summer 2009. Employed with Freeport McMoran Copper and Gold Inc.
- Buyanni Prashanth Reddy: Short-circuit model for Fuel Cells – Graduated – Spring 2010.
- Sravan Kumar Buggaveeti: Improved Overcurrent Protection of Capacitor Banks using Mathematical Morphology – Graduated – Fall 2010. Employed with Siemens.
- Vrempala Sri Naga Aditya: Analysis and Simulation of Doubly Fed Asynchronous Generator – Graduated – Fall 2010.
- Henry Guan: Case Study: High Voltage at the High Lonesome Mesa Wind Farm- Graduated – Spring 2011. Employed with Sanida National Laboratory.
- Om Prasad Dahal: Modeling and Investigation of Various Options to Avoid the False Tripping Of Primary Distribution Feeder– Graduated – Spring 2013. Employed with Northern Indiana Public Service Company – NIPSCO.
- Sean Clifton: Elimination of Distribution Feeder Nuisance Tripping Via Point-On-Wave, Asynchronous Switching – Graduated – Fall 2013. Employed with Exponential Engineering.
- Shiva Prasad Pokharel: Modeling and Simulation of Three Phase Inverter to Investigate Fault Detection in Distribution Systems – Graduated – Spring 2014. Employed with Freeport McMoran Copper and Gold Inc.
- Chris Zubia: Short Circuit Modeling and Protection Implementation for A Type 3 Wind Turbine Generator Facility using ASPEN OneLiner – Graduated – Spring 2014. Employed with El Paso Electric Company.
- Phani Harsha Gadde: PMU Data Compression in Wide Area Monitoring Systems– Graduated – Fall 2015.