Current Students

Current graduate student inquiries? Contact Electrical and Computer Engineering Office.

Announcing the newly formed Graduate Student Organization within the Klipsch School, the Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate Student Organization (ECEGSO). Read more here!

The common goals for a graduate student within the Klipsch School are:

  • Maintain academic eligibility as defined by the Graduate School
  • Successfully complete a series of classes from the Klipsch School graduate core
  • Successfully complete the final examination for the program.

In general, graduate programs are highly individualized based on the student’s career goals.  Because of this individualization, graduate advising is primarily handled by the student’s major advisor and the student’s graduate committee. Specific course selection depends on the student’s career goals as well as research needs.  The student, advisor, and committee are expected to be up-to-date on the current degree options and restrictions in the Graduate Catalog.  Specific graduation requirements and exam details can be found in the MSEE program, MEEE program, and the PhD program sections.

Advisor Selection

The choice of specialization on the graduate admission application form helps determine an appropriate initial graduate advisor. This initial advisor is assigned as part of the graduate admissions process and is intended to give the student a point of contact within the Klipsch School. Please note that your initial advisor can assist you with degree planning but may not have the resources (funding and/or time) to oversee a research project with you (see the Graduate Assistant page for more information on financial assistance). A student may change their graduate advisor any time during the graduate program; however, most changes are best made in the first few semesters. Choosing a graduate advisor involves several factors, such as compatibility, specialization, and availability of research support.

Because the Graduate School and the Klipsch School both need to know the current advisor, when a change of advisors is made, the Change of Advisor form must be completed and filed with the Klipsch School and the Graduate School.

Program Plan

When the student, advisor, and committee are satisfied with the desired program of study for the student, a “degree plan” or “program of study” needs to be filed. This degree plan is to be filed after the student has completed 12 hours of graduate coursework.  This rule holds for both MSEE and PhD students.  It is advisable to file this plan as soon as possible after the 12 hour point so that the student has a chance to make any changes before the final semester if one of the administrative checks (Department Head or Graduate School) does not approve the proposed program of study.

To file a degree plan, the student runs a STAR audit and brings the printout along with the MSEE record check or PhD record check to their advisor. The advisor reviews the check form and signs it once it is agreed upon.  At that point, the student can bring the record check form to the Klipsch School front office.

Graduate Forms

Integrity and Safety in Research & Creative Activities 

The Klipsch School of Electrical and Computer Engineering endeavors to provide a safe working environment for all faculty, staff, and Graduate Assistants that complies with State and Federal laws. Any employee of the Klipsch School should notify the department head in writing of any safety or health concerns. If a unionized employee feels that the safety issue has not been adequately addressed, they can bring the issue to the union which will then determine whether it should intervene in the matter.

Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution 

These are addressed in Articles 12 and 13 of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). If changes are made in the CBA over time, the departmental policy will conform to the corresponding revised CBA sections.

Work Related Policies 

These are addressed in Articles 5 through 11 of the current CBA. If changes are made in the CBA over time, the departmental policy will conform to the corresponding revised CBA sections.

Department/University Funding Resources:

The University will guarantee a base level of scholarship of at least $650.00 or two (2) credit hours of tuition (including differential tuition for nursing and engineering) and Required Fees (not including additional fees), whichever is greater, per semester per student to all student members holding an assistantship or combined assistantships of 0.50 FTE or higher, prorated for those with less than a 0.50 FTE or combined FTE. This base level scholarship will be provided each Fall and Spring semester subject to budgetary constraints. 

These numbers or conditions may change when changes are made in the current CBA and the new policy will conform to the new/revised CBA articles.