Can I minor in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering? Yes, please see Minor in Electrical Engineering and Minor in Computer Engineering

What are pre-requisites and co-requisites? “Pre-requisite” denotes that the student must have passed the course in question with a C or better to enroll in the listed class (i.e., it is a class that must be taken and passed beforehand). “Co-requisite” denotes that the course in question must be taken along with the listed class (it may also be taken and passed beforehand).

How do I pick a catalog year?  Your catalog year is usually the one in effect when you started college. The catalog years are given indicating the fall semester and spring semester. If you start in the summer, you go with that fall semester catalog year. Catalogs cannot be more than 6 years old, so if you started college more than six years ago, you’ll need to select another catalog year.

If you would like a newer catalog, you can always change to a more recent catalog than the one you started with. Students should select the catalog that works best for what they are taking.

I’m not doing in well in my classes and I need to drop some, but I’ll be below full time and I need to keep my scholarship – What do I do? It’s always best not to get into this situation. So try to budget your time, get help when you need help – before you get into this kind of trouble. However, NMSU does offer mid-semester classes. The best place to find these is on my.nmsu.edu under registration/look up classes. When you look up classes, you can specify options – like main campus or branch campus classes, traditional classes, or web based classes. You can even specify if you want the class for the entire semester, first 8 weeks, or second 8 weeks. If you’re looking for classes to take at mid-semester time, you need the second 8 week classes. If you select that, and highlight all the course subjects, the system will return the classes that are offered for the second half of the semester.

Once you find the class you want (and if it is not closed), you can register for it online. You would then be able to drop the class that you “need” to and still be full time.

How does Replacement of grades work? The replacement grade policy is as follows:
A student may repeat a course in which a D or F grade has been earned at this university. A computable grade (excluding I, W, RR, AU, CR, S, or U) in a repeated course may be substituted in the calculation of the grade–point average, though the original grade also remains on the transcript. The first occurrence with a C or better grade will count in earned hours. Future attempts will not count in earned hours. If a student repeats a course eligible for grade substitution in which they have earned a D and then fails the course, the second grade of F will not be substituted for the original grade.

Neither credits nor grade points may be earned by repeating a course for which a grade of C or higher has already been received.

When can I take a class S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) and which classes can I take S/U? A student must have 28 or more graded credits and a 2.5 or higher GPA in order to take a class S/U. In the BSEE requirement document handout (Table 1) indicates which classes can be taken S/U. For EE students, these are the Social and Behavioral Sciences Electives, the Humanities and Fine Arts Electives, Viewing a Wider World classes, or other classes that don’t count for the degree.

How can I graduate with honors? To graduate with honors from the Honors College a student needs: 18 honors credits, 9 lower division, 6 upper division, and 3 credits of honors thesis, and a 3.5 or higher GPA. Alternatively, the student could be the top student in the college of engineering.

How do I become a Crimson scholar? An incoming first time student needs a 26 or higher composite ACT, and then will need to maintain a 3.5 GPA. Perks include: priority registration, qualification for on-campus employment, and extended library check out times. For continuing students, you need a 3.5 GPA. Students who qualify need to apply online. See the Crimson Scholars page online.

How do I get a minor and what minors can I get? Some of the common minors for EE students are: Math, CS, Physics, and Business. See the section under degrees for more information on what is required. The NMSU Undergraduate Catalog lists all of the available majors and minors at NMSU.

Once you know what minor you’d like, you need to talk to that department and be sure you’re following the current requirements, and fill out any needed paperwork or certification they want you to complete.

How do I find out about Co-Op and Internships and what are they? A co-op is when you work for a company for a semester and a summer. It really gives you a chance to get into a project. Internships entail working for just a summer. Both allow you to earn some good money, and get some excellent experience and make contacts. It will also help you to decide if you like the area you’re working in.

Students can earn up to 3 credits of Technical Elective for internships or Co-Ops. If you want to get this credit you need to start working on the paperwork before you go on the Co-op or Internship. The form is posted online.

If you visit the fall or spring Career Fairs, you can meet the various companies and make contacts for jobs, Co-Ops, and internships.

NMSU has information about Co-Ops and internships on the Career Services website.

How do I get a Scholarship or find out about scholarships? There are several sites to check out. The College of Engineering has its own site and students should apply online yearly. Check out the EE information under financial aid. The University also has information – see their website. Students should plan on filling out your FAFSA each year. Requirements vary for each scholarship, so be sure to read the information carefully.

What is the FE Exam and should I take it?  The FE exam is the first step toward getting your professional engineering license. Traditionally most EE’s haven’t needed it, but more and more companies are looking for it. Once you pass the FE, you work for a few years, and then take the PE exam. When you pass that, you’ll have your engineering license.

Review material and registration are available on the NCEES website.

EE students are not required to take it, but if you think you may be running your own engineering company or will be working for a power company, it is highly recommended that you do.

Can I take Graduate Courses as an undergraduate for undergraduate credit? Undergraduates who wish to enroll in a graduate-level course numbered 500 or higher for undergraduate credit must secure prior written permission from the instructor and course dean. Enrollment is by petition only and is limited to outstanding juniors and seniors.

Can I take Graduate Courses for graduate credit while still an undergraduate? A student who is in the final semester of a bachelor’s degree program and who is completing all requirements for graduation may take up to 6 credits of graduate-level courses numbered from 450 through 598 for credit toward an advanced degree.

The student must also:

(1) file an Application for Admission to the Graduate School and be admitted by a department into a graduate program;

(2) have a grade-point average of 3.0 or better over the most recent semesters in which the last 45 semester hours were completed

(3) file a petition for each course by the deadline to add courses for the semester in which the course was taken; (4) obtain approval by the instructor, department head, and undergraduate dean; and (5) register for the course at the Graduate School. The combined total of graduate and undergraduate courses for the semester may not exceed 17 credits. Senior petitioners should consult an admission representative at the Graduate School.

If the student is not admitted into a graduate program, the course(s) will remain separate from the undergraduate record. If the student is admitted into a graduate program, the course(s) will become part of the graduate record and will not be used in the calculation of the student’s undergraduate grade-point average or credit hours

When is the EE office open and where is it?
The main office is in T&B 106.
Hours 8AM – noon; 1PM – 5PM
Monday-Friday when NMSU is open

Can I get keys to any of the rooms? A key request form is available in the EE office (T&B 106), to be filled out and returned.

I want to print out material on the department printer in the lab. How do I do this? Students may need to supply paper. Students will need to log onto the EE computers with a user name and password.

Where are the departmental computers? The Klipsch School has computers available for our students in Thomas & Brown Hall room 202, 206, and 305. These computers are under the engineering domain. These computers are also used for EE labs. When they are not in use for labs, they are available for student use.

Can I access the internet and use my own computer? Thomas & Brown Hall is equipped with wireless internet. To use the internet, you’ll need to register your computer using netreg.nmsu.edu and once done, you can access the internet throughout the building.